Ahh … TikTok, TikTok, TikTok.
Figure 1: I hope there are Hunger Games fans reading.
Can we even remember what social media was like before short video clips took over our news feed? I honestly can’t.
TikTok launched in 2017 and is now sitting at around 1 billion active users, with over 2 billion global downloads. It’s one of the fastest-growing social media platforms and has taken the world by storm. All these users have the potential to see your content, earning your brand thousands, even millions, of impressions on one video. Pretty crazy statistic to think about.
So, is TikTok right for your business? The short answer: most likely. The platform is perfect for promoting your business to a wide range of people. From celebrities to your neighbors, startup businesses are using TikTok for their organization.
TikTok is a short film video up to 3 minutes that allows brands to develop different content in a less polished, authentic and trendy way. It’s different from Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram because they are primarily focused on sharing images and text, while TikTok is video content.
Since TikTok is different from other social media platforms we are used to, brands are starting to see they may be missing out on this marketing opportunity. The platform is so successful, other platforms are making statements on the need to keep up with TikTok. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, stated, “Instagram is going to be taking a more video-focused approach to their platform moving forward.” Other platforms are now pushing short videos on their sites – why not start using TikTok for your business now?
Businesses should be on TikTok because it:
- Reaches more people than any other social media platform
- Offers a lot of room for creativity
- Gives the opportunity to convey your message differently than your other marketing tactics
- Creates a community and strong follower base
- Has content for all age groups
- Is a place for funny and meme-style content
TikTok for business is:
- An investment in time and effort to consistently create content. Posting daily is crucial to your account’s growth.
- A unique social platform! You must grab your audience’s attention with a video. Your caption comes second.
- A challenge due to the algorithm and constant changing trends.
The algorithm isn’t like any other social media platform
TikTok’s interest-based algorithm is one of the best things about the platform. Your content will be seen by a wider audience if it’s relevant and high quality, even if you only have 100 followers.
To sum it up for you, your “For You” feed is powered by your engagement and is customized with videos that TikTok believes will meet your taste and interest. Someone else may have some of the same videos on their FYP, but your FYP is never going to be the exact same. For example, if you save a video of a workout routine, you more likely will see healthy lifestyle videos – tying back to their algorithm – which is designed to present you with a collection of videos you should enjoy based on your past behavior on the app.
Consider these 6 tips when you start creating TikTok content:
- Use trending sounds/effect
- Use popular hashtags
- The shorter the videos, the better
- Do not delete low engagement videos
- Engage with your creators
- Have a niche
Read more about creating content to land on the For You Page: https://flint-group.com/blog/lets-talk-tiktok-algorithm/
My personal favorite thing about TikTok is the authenticity and creative aspect.
Don’t be afraid to create content you aren’t used to! What would make you stop and watch a TikTok? Keep that in the back of your mind while creating content. It’s a place to push your creative limits.
TikTok isn’t a serious platform – businesses that do well on TikTok post videos that are collaborative, light-hearted and follow trends. Have fun and experiment new types of content!
“But what content can I create to promote my business?!”
Great question. Here are types of content you can experiment with:
- Videos created by your team (another personal favorite 😊)
- User generated content
- Influencer-created content
- Brands are using TikTok to showcase personal and humorous ways to connect with users. In order to make it on TikTok, businesses will need to rethink traditional marketing tactics. There is a lot of considerdation of joining the app, but that’s the magic in TikTok. Test your creative skills and build your brands transparency.
Check out these accounts for inspiration:
- Flint Group (obviously)
- Taco Bell
Boost brand awareness
TikTok has a large user base, making it a great platform to engage with your audience. The algorithm focuses on user interactions and video details, such as text on video, hashtags and audio, to increase your brand’s visibility. You can use this to your advantage to ensure your audiences see your brand message.
Who is on TikTok, you ask? TikTok users are mainly Gen Z and millennials, with age distribution growing older.
- 60% are female, 40% are male
- 60% are between the ages of 16 – 24
- 26% are between the ages 25 – 44
- 80% are between the ages 16 – 34
“This is great information, but how do I get started on TikTok?”
- Establish those goals!
- Brainstorm content ideas!
- Understand your audience!
- Stay up to date on trends!
Overall, TikTok is a great place for brands to connect with users and create fun content. Advertising on TikTok is a great way to reach your target audience, and if TikTok continues to grow at its current rate, you can’t afford to not be there.
The good news – we can amp your TikTok game together. We are here to help. Let’s further the discussion!